Arranging Panel Discussion and Reading ‘Design a Healthy Home’

Panel Discussion

Over the course of this past week, I have been busy organising my online panel discussion.

The panel aims to bring hospitality businesses together with biophilic and biomimetic experts to establish the most effective, innovative and manageable applications of nature that could be introduced into hospitality spaces to re-connect people with nature. 
My project is looking to develop small scale applications of nature that can make an effective and impactful difference in the hospitality spaces, but that do not require full scale schemes and refurbishments of businesses; due to the time and monetary pressures large scale applications pose. 

Consequently, the key question for discussion in the panel is:
How can nature be applied in hospitality businesses that serve food and drink to re-connect people with the natural world?

There will be a series of prompts, which will guide the discussion but the discussion will be predominately free forming.

Guideline of the prompts: 

• What aspect of nature do you think may be most impactful in hospitality businesses eg: light, sound, colour, planting? And how might effective introductions of these aspects look?
  • How may biophilic or biomimetic deigns be utilised to create impactful, smaller scale applications into hospitality businesses that serve food and drink?
  • What aspects of the hospitality businesses that serve food and drink may benefit most from applications of nature? Eg: seating/ furniture
  • How do you think these applications nature could be utilised to measure a connecting to nature, are measures such as the Nature Relatedness Scale, Inclusion of Nature with Self, and Emotional Affinity to Nature enough?

At present the confirmed speakers are as follows, with a few speakers in the hospitality industry still to finalise:

• Kristina Libby – Biophilic Design
  • Leonardo Binetti – Biomimetic Design
  • Rajalakshmi Iyer – Biophilic Design
  • Simon Gardner – Hospitality Business General Manager 

The panel is to take place on the 4th June 2021 at 1pm via Stream Yard, where an audience can view the discussion live via the link to Nature. In’s YouTube channel and comment any questions they have.  The panel discussion will also be recorded and later uploaded to Nature. In Youtube channel so that it can be reattached at later stages.

I am still in the process to quirking extra representatives of the hospitality industry to take part in the discussion.

Design a Healthy Home

Additionally, over the past week I have started reading ‘Design a Healthy Home’ by Oliver Heath. This book is incredibly insightful into different aspects of applications of biophilic design that can be utilised in the home. So far I have been reading about the use of colour in Biophilic design and how colour can be utilised to replicate different moods and emotions conveyed in nature. Some of they key points and favourite pages are shown below, but I will continue to read through the chapters of this book and make detailed note some the coming weeks.

Heath, O. (2021) Design a Healthy Home, Penguin Random House, London.